The first impression does matter. This is precisely the basis of onboarding , the guide process for new users to find value in a product or service through software . We tell you what you should know about this process.
A platform can get 75% of the users in the first week. However, at the end of the month if the experience on the tour is negative, you can go from having 100 to 4 assets, according to a study by Appcues.
Even 8 out of 10 users delete an application because they do not know how to use it and 55% of people in the world do not consume products online because they do not understand how to buy or acquire it, according to the Wyzowl statistics report .
This is why implementing technological transformation through onboarding goes beyond retaining users. It is necessary to apply user experience and usability strategies to improve a person’s navigation from the first time they visit a platform, taking into account the following:
understand your audience
You must know what type of public you are selling to. This way you will be more assertive with the strategies you implement, you will know how to remove the obstacles that people encounter during their onboarding and what support information to provide the user to improve their experience. In addition, at this point it is key to know what the pain points are. This helps to know how to communicate to the target audience and offer your portfolio strategically.
For this, it is important to take into account four key concepts:
- Emotions: sensations that users experience with your platform, product or service.
- Memories: perceptions that the user has about the brand and after the first impression when browsing a platform to access your service or product.
- Behaviors: consumption habits that are generated with content.
- Results: viability of the strategy, that is, if it works or not for your audience.
Give importance to support communication
According to an article in Hubspot: The ultimate guide to customer onboarding , after “the initial greeting or welcome message, it is necessary to complement the user experience with tutorials or guides that explain to people how to access the service more easily or product. Once you deliver value with what you offer, people will want to be in constant contact with your portfolio through a platform.”
Analyze strategy metrics
To improve the assertiveness in the strategy implemented during the onboarding experience that the user experiences, it is key to analyze the metrics, in order to iterate and implement new ones if necessary. If these are effective, consumers are more loyal to the brands. Even companies that provide a satisfactory experience to their customers grow their revenue between 4% and 8%, above the market standard, according to customer service statistics from Bin & Company .
Use tools that facilitate the experience
Below we share some recommended tools to implement and improve onboarding .
- Intuition HQ: carry out with this tool an analysis of the actions and interactions that users carry out on your platform.
- Browsershots – Validates that the browsing experience is the same for all users no matter what type of browser they use.
- Crazyegg: Analyze data on how many users interact with your platform.
- Google Analytics: This is one of the most widely used tools to measure user visits, interactions, and other actions on a platform.
- Pingdom: guarantee a higher number of visits taking into account speed, load and response reports from your platform.